Who we are
Wivenhoe House is a four star country house hotel on the outskirts of Colchester. The hotel has 40 bedrooms, conference and event facilities for up to 120 guests and a 100 seater brasserie restaurant. The Hotel is also home to the Edge Hotel School. The first hotel school of its kind in the UK, the Edge Hotel School, equips its Hotel Management and Events Management degree students with the professional and managerial skills, as well as the academic theory, to prepare them for their future career as leaders in the industry.
Why work for us?
- We offer competitive salaries
- We are committed to providing excellent training and development for all staff
- Generous holiday allowance of up to 36 days depending on grade
- Discount of 50% on overnight stays and food and 20% on beverages
- Free overnight stay for two people including dinner for every year of service
- Dry cleaning service for staff uniform
- Monthly employee recognition programme
- Employee discounts on retail items, sports centre and day nursery through the University of Essex
The successful candidate will be part of a large brigade of chefs working in our Brasserie and Signature’s Kitchens and also mentoring students of the Edge Hotel School who work with the Hotel as part of their Hospitality Management Degree. If you are proactive, ambitious, a team player, have an eye for detail and a real passion for creating fresh, locally sourced dishes then we’d like you to join our team.
The ideal candidate will have cooking experience as a Commis Chef at a similar level and will preferably hold a relevant NVQ level 2 or above or equivalent qualification and be able to work in a team or independently. The main duties of the role will include preparation and production of high quality foods (mis en place) for any day to day corporate functions, events, parties, weddings and also for breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant services. You will also have knowledge of equipment and a good command of culinary basics as well as a passion for delivering high quality food.
This is an excellent opportunity to become part of a strong professional team and work within a company that has a good work ethic, a keen interest in staff development and a range of staff benefits.
- Closing Date: 1 July 2019
- Job Type; Full Time/Permanent
- Salary £20,899 per annum plus a full range of staff benefits
- This role is shift based on a notional 48 hours per week (worked 5 over 7) and includes late finishes and weekend work.
- Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Please apply with full CV and covering letter. Applications without full detail may not be considered
For full job pack and how to apply please see the University of Essex website: