ACCESSIBILITY FOR ALL
Wivenhoe House understands that every guest wants to feel individual and we aim to make our hotel facilities available and accessible to all of our guests equally.
- Designated car parking outside the front door
- Lift access to all floors
- Separate accessible entrance with ramps
- Specially designed accessible bedrooms and bathrooms
- Accessible WC’s in public areas
- Assistance Dogs welcome
- Porter assitance
Wivenhoe House has chosen to support a number of charities per financial year (August to July). We will support one charity for the entire year and the remaining charities will be selected on a regular basis by the team here at Wivenhoe House. We will review the choice of these charities on an annual basis with input from all staff. For details on charities we have recent supported please refer to our news page.
Room to Reward
Wivenhoe House has partnered with Room to Reward. The aim of Room to Reward is to recognise and reward the commitment, hard work and selflessness of registered charity staff and volunteers with a complimentary short break, giving them the chance to spend quality time with a loved one and enjoy a few days of pure relaxation.
OUR LOCAL ENVIRONMENT
On a day to day basis the teams at Wivenhoe House will take the following actions in their contribution to helping the environment
- Seperate bins to recycle cardboard, plastic, food waste
- Not stock plastic straws
- Provide newspapers on request
- Bulk purchase of chemicals & use of dosage dispensers
- Bed linen changed on guests’ 3rd day, unless otherwise requested
- Cleaning cloths washed on site to reduce transportation
- Guests encouraged to re-use towels
- Purchasing fair trade products in the bedroom and fair trade coffee in the restaurant and lounges.
- Heating and air conditioning set to a controlled temperature unless otherwise requested
- Windows and doors closed and heating system switched off when rooms are unoccupied
- Power supply in guest bedrooms controlled by key card
- Compact waste cardboard so less collections required
- Encourage local transport and provide information on their facilities
- Wivenhoe House is a Grade II listed building and it we will keep this building to the highest standards. This will be achieved by through a programme of long term maintenance
In partnership with the University of Essex we will ensure that staff of Wivenhoe House and guests are
- Aware of car sharing opportunities by promoting the University of Essex database of over 300 staff who currently car share
- Encouraged to cycle to work (cycle rack facilities provided plus discount on cycling goods with local retailers through the cycle to work scheme)
- Aware of their access to heavily discounted annual season ticket through First Essex Buses for travel within Colchester.
- Electric vehicle charging points available in the University car park
WORKING WITH OUR LOCAL COMMUNITIES
Where possible, Wivenhoe House will work with local suppliers and support the local economy
- Provide information on walks, wildlife and parks for our guests
- Working with our local Destination Management Organisations (Visit Essex and Visit Colchester)
- Support of a local community groups such as Wellies On
The General Manager is responsible for the overall Corporate Social Responsibility of Wivenhoe House. The General Manager will ensure that the implications for the environment are taken into consideration in all major business decisions. When tendering for new suppliers, Wivenhoe House will work with colleagues from the University of Essex Procurement department. Together they will assess suppliers green and CSR credentials before awarding business.